hbase-user mailing list archives

From Daniel JeliƄski <djelins...@gmail.com>
Subject OutOfMemoryError: Direct buffer memory on PUT
Date Mon, 09 Oct 2017 09:12:42 GMT
Hello,
I'm running an application doing a lot of Puts (size anywhere between 0 and
10MB, one cell at a time); occasionally I'm getting an error like the below:
2017-10-09 04:29:29,811 WARN  [AsyncProcess] - #13368,
table=researchplatform:repo_stripe, attempt=1/1 failed=1ops, last
exception: java.io.IOException: com.google.protobuf.ServiceException:
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Direct buffer memory on
c169dzv.int.westgroup.com,60020,1506476748534, tracking started Mon Oct 09
04:29:29 EDT 2017; not retrying 1 - final failure

After that the connection to RegionServer becomes unusable. Every
subsequent attempt to execute Put on that connection results in
CallTimeoutException. I only found the OutOfMemory by reducing the number
of tries to 1.

The host running HBase appears to have at least a few GB of free memory
available. Server logs do not mention anything about this error. Cluster is
running HBase 1.2.0-cdh5.10.2.

Is this a known problem? Are there workarounds available?
Thanks,
Daniel