hbase-user mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <els...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Fast search by any column
Date Thu, 31 Aug 2017 21:39:58 GMT
Well put, Dave! And yes, same for Phoenix.

HBase provides exactly one "index" (on rowkey). Thus it's the
application's responsibility to build other indexes to support different
kind of lookups. This is exactly what projects like Trafodian and
Phoenix (not to mention, others) do.

On 8/30/17 2:09 PM, Dave Birdsall wrote:
> Trafodion (and I think Phoenix also) both support secondary indexes. So you can create
indexes on any attribute that you wish to search upon.

> Trafodion in addition allows one to pack multiple columns (logically speaking) into the
HBase key. It also has a feature that allows intelligent use of multiple-column indexes. For
example, if I have an index on STATE, CITY, and I have a predicate of the form CITY = 'St.
Louis' (without a predicate on STATE), Trafodion can implicitly materialize the distinct STATE
values efficiently and access CITY = 'St. Louis' directly using that index. So one does not
have to create as many indexes as one might otherwise. This feature is useful when the table
continues to grow or is updated; fewer indexes requires less overhead for index maintenance.
But if the data set is static, you may as well just create indexes until your heart is content
(space permitting of course).

is another example.

> As I understand, Apache Phoenix and Apache Trafodion are highest layer than HBase and
both uses HBase. How they can fast seach, since HBase does not allow this?