hbase-user mailing list archives

From Dave Birdsall <dave.birds...@esgyn.com>
Subject EndpointCoprocessors with multi-region access
Date Mon, 24 Jul 2017 16:29:55 GMT
Hi,

I have a basic question about Endpoint coprocessors.

Suppose I want to write a coprocessor that returns the total number of memstore bytes used
by a table.

I can write code that loops through all the regions, asking their region servers to tell me
the memstore bytes for each given region, and then add them all up.

Such code, of course, will have a RegionServer talking to other RegionServers in the cluster.

Is there any problem with this? For example, when a RegionServer does an RPC to another RegionServer,
does that tie up a thread in the calling RegionServer? And if so, and if my coprocessor is
popular, might I get deadlocks or thread exhaustion errors if multiple RegionServers run my
coprocessor?

The more general architectural question is, should an EndPoint coprocessor limit itself to
the regions that are on its own RegionServer? Or does HBase possess appropriate layers to
robustly manage prolific cross-server traffic?

Thanks,

Dave