hbase-user mailing list archives

From Roberta Marton <roberta.mar...@esgyn.com>
Subject HBase namespaces and encryption
Date Fri, 10 Mar 2017 23:11:37 GMT
I have been researching how our product can use namespaces to aid in multi-tenancy support.
For example, I have 3 tenants that need to be isolated from each other.
Ideally, each tenant would have its own namespace and  its own set of permissions applied.
What I would also like to do is integrate HDFS encryption with namespaces.  That is, each
namespace would reside in its own encryption zone and only be accessible through each zone's
encryption key.

Is this possible?  From the documentation I have been reading, it  is recommended that all
HBase data be in a single encryption zone. So this would preclude the ability to create different
zones for each namespace.

If this is not possible, is there any plans to add this support in the future?

If we can't use HDFS encryption zones, is there any way to isolate each tenants data through
some other encryption mechanism?

   Regards,
   Roberta Marton