hbase-user mailing list archives

From Ganesh Viswanathan <gan...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Dropping a very large table - 75million rows
Date Thu, 09 Feb 2017 22:17:23 GMT
Thanks Ted/Josh.

Ted-
I store historical metrics on the locality of regions in each regionserver
in the cluster. I noticed that the old table had many regions with low
locality before the drop while the other newer tables had very few cases of
low locality. After the drop, the new table's regions showed a large drop
in locality.

Josh-
I did go from 2200regions before the drop to about 540regions. So,
relatively speaking, yes it could be that the old table had more regions
with overall higher locality (though it showed up as more regions in each
regionserver with lower locality).

At what point (in terms of put/get load and row count/storage size in
HBase), does it make sense to dive into the data-locality settings and try
to tune it so that compaction and locality changes are more predictable?
Would looking at how to create regions (instead of auto-sharding) provide
greater benefit?

Thanks!
Ganesh

On Thu, Feb 9, 2017 at 11:51 AM, Josh Elser <elserj@apache.org> wrote:

> It could be that the table you dropped had a very good locality while the
> other tables had less. So, your overall locality went down (when the "good"
> locality regions were no longer included). This wouldn't have affected your
> system's performance because the locality for the table didn't change --
> just the system-wide locality.
>

> Ted Yu wrote:
>
>> bq. The locality of regions for OTHER tables on the same regionserver also
>> fell drastically
>>
>> Can you be a bit more specific on how you came to the above conclusion ?
>> Dropping one table shouldn't affect locality of other tables - unless
>> number of regions on each server becomes unbalanced which triggers
>> balancer
>> activities.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> On Thu, Feb 9, 2017 at 7:34 AM, Ganesh Viswanathan<gansvv@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> So here is what I observed.
>>> Dropping this large table had an immediate effect on average locality for
>>> the entire cluster. The locality of regions for OTHER tables on the same
>>> regionserver also fell drastically in the cluster. This was unexpected (I
>>> only thought locality of regions for the dropped table would be
>>> impacted).
>>> Is this because of compaction? Does the locality computation use the size
>>> of other regions on each regionserver?
>>>
>>> The large drop in locality, however, did not cause latency issues on read
>>> writes for the other tables. Why is that? Is it because I did not try to
>>> hit all low locality regions?
>>>
>>> (On another note, I was able to test and perform deletions on per region
>>> basis, but that requires hbck -repair and it seemed more invasive on the
>>> entire cluster health.)
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Ganesh
>>>

>>> On Sat, Feb 4, 2017 at 11:20 AM Josh Elser<elserj@apache.org>  wrote: