hbase-user mailing list archives

From Ganesh Viswanathan <gan...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Dropping a very large table - 75million rows
Date Thu, 09 Feb 2017 15:34:49 GMT
So here is what I observed.
Dropping this large table had an immediate effect on average locality for
the entire cluster. The locality of regions for OTHER tables on the same
regionserver also fell drastically in the cluster. This was unexpected (I
only thought locality of regions for the dropped table would be impacted).
Is this because of compaction? Does the locality computation use the size
of other regions on each regionserver?

The large drop in locality, however, did not cause latency issues on read
writes for the other tables. Why is that? Is it because I did not try to
hit all low locality regions?

(On another note, I was able to test and perform deletions on per region
basis, but that requires hbck -repair and it seemed more invasive on the
entire cluster health.)

Thanks,
Ganesh