hbase-user mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <els...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Dropping a very large table - 75million rows
Date Fri, 03 Feb 2017 20:52:58 GMT
I think you are worried about nothing, Ganesh.

If you want to drop (delete) the entire table, just disable and drop it
from the shell. This operation is not going to have a significant impact
on your cluster (save a few flush'es). This would only happen if you
have had recent writes to this table (which seems unlikely if you want
to drop it).

Ganesh Viswanathan wrote:
> Hello,
> I need to drop an old HBase table that is quite large. It has anywhere
> between 2million and 70million datapoints. I turned off the count after it
> ran on the HBase shell for half a day. I have 4 other tables that have
> around 75million rows in total and also take heavy PUT and GET traffic.
> What is the best practice for disabling and dropping such a large table in
> HBase so that I have minimal impact on the rest of the cluster?
> 1) I hear there are ways to disable (and drop?) specific regions? Would
> that work?
> 2) Should I scan and delete a few rows at a time until the size becomes
> manageable and then disable/drop the table?
>    If so, what is a good number of rows to delete at a time, should I run a
> major compaction after these row deletes on specific regions, and what is a
> good sized table that can be easily dropped (and has been validated)
> without causing issues on the larger cluster.
> Thanks!
> Ganesh

View raw message