hbase-user mailing list archives

From Pradheep Shanmugam <Pradheep.Shanmu...@infor.com>
Subject Managed region Splitting
Date Fri, 20 Jan 2017 22:29:29 GMT

1. I have couple of phoenix tables with salting. I am assuming that all the regions will grow
uniformly across the region server.
Based on above I expect the region splitting to happen across all the region servers at the
same time which will impact my performance when the region size gets bigger.
I am considering manual region splitting to avoid this. But the given that the default split
policy is IncreasingToUpperBoundRegionSplitPolicy<https://hbase.apache.org/devapidocs/org/apache/hadoop/hbase/regionserver/IncreasingToUpperBoundRegionSplitPolicy.html>,
I cannot really disable the splitting by increasing the hbase.hregion.max.file size to say
100Gb as the the new split size is going to be the one set by the policy
which will be less than 100 Gb several times and the automatic splitting is going to continue.

2. Or altogether should I not consider manual splitting as the chances of all regions splitting
at the same time is not possible if there is going to be some internal check which will not
trigger multiple split(or a number) for regions of the same table

3. Would using KeyPrefixRegionSplitPolicy<https://hbase.apache.org/devapidocs/src-html/org/apache/hadoop/hbase/regionserver/KeyPrefixRegionSplitPolicy.html#line.34>
will be of any better than  IncreasingToUpperBoundRegionSplitPolicy<https://hbase.apache.org/devapidocs/org/apache/hadoop/hbase/regionserver/IncreasingToUpperBoundRegionSplitPolicy.html>
for salted tables.

Please advice..