hbase-user mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <els...@apache.org>
Subject Re: How to Configure hbase.client.scanner.timeout.period and hbase.rpc.timeout
Date Tue, 27 Dec 2016 14:35:21 GMT
hbase.client.scanner.timeout.period is a timeout specifically for RPCs
that come from the HBase Scanner classes (e.g. ClientScanner) while
hbase.rpc.timeout is the default timeout for any RPC. I believe that the
hbase.client.scanner.timeout.period is also used by the RegionServers to
define the lifetime of the Lease (the cause of the LeaseException you're
seeing).

Generally, when you see these kinds of exceptions while scanning data in
HBase, it is just a factor of your hardware and current performance (in
other words, how long it takes to read your data). I can't really give a
firm answer because it is dependent on your system's performance. You
should be able to approximate the performance with some
back-of-the-envelope math.

Some changes like https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-13090 and
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-13333 should help reduce the
need for you to tweak configuration properties in the future.