hbase-user mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <els...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Creating SQL skin on Hbase table
Date Sun, 25 Dec 2016 04:01:22 GMT
Yes, the expectation is that when using the Phoenix secondary-indexing
feature, you also must use Phoenix to maintain the accuracy of the
indices with the data table.

However, even without secondary-indexing, why would you not use Phoenix
APIs to update? If there are deficiencies in the ability to generate
data to ingest into Phoenix, that's a problem that should be addressed
as a new feature/bug in Phoenix. Otherwise, I don't see any reason why
you wouldn't use Phoenix APIs to read/write data in Phoenix...

Mich Talebzadeh wrote:
> Hi,
> I have used Phoenix to create SQL views on top of Hbase table and also
> created covering engines. The issue I have noticed is that all ingestion
> has to go through Phoenix otherwise Phoenix indexes will not be updated.
> Another alternative has been to try Hive EXTERNAL tables on top of Hbase
> table but only EXTERNAL tables are supported. I was wondering the pros and
> cons of using Hive or Phoenix tables on Hbase?
> Thanks
> Dr Mich Talebzadeh
> http://talebzadehmich.wordpress.com
> such loss, damage or destruction.