hbase-user mailing list archives

From Sachin Jain <sachinjain...@gmail.com>
Subject Creating HBase table with presplits
Date Mon, 28 Nov 2016 08:42:01 GMT
Hi,

I was going though pre-splitting a table article [0] and it is mentioned
that it is generally best practice to presplit your table. But don't we
need to know the data in advance in order to presplit it.

Question: What should be the best practice when we don't know what data is
going to be inserted into HBase. Essentially I don't know the key range so
if I specify wrong splits, then either first or last split can be a hot
region in my system.

[0]: https://hbase.apache.org/book.html#rowkey.regionsplits

Thanks
-Sachin