hbase-user mailing list archives

From Nick Dimiduk <ndimi...@apache.org>
Subject [DISCUSS] EOL 1.1 Release Branch
Date Fri, 04 Nov 2016 16:24:30 GMT
Hello HBase Community!

We have a small matter to discuss.

HBase 1.2 has been formally marked as "stable" for the last couple months.
HBase 1.3.0rc0 is just around the corner. I think it's time to start a
conversation about retiring the 1.1 line. The volunteer bandwidth for
maintaining multiple branches is precious and as we spread ourselves more
thin, odds of decay increase.

I propose discontinuing 1.1 with a single release following 1.3.1. That'll
give us one last chance to back port any bug fixes discovered in the
diligence we're putting into the new minor release. Given the current pace
of 1.3, I estimate this will happen in January or February of 2017. It's
not a lot of time for existing deployments to get around to upgrading, but
the upgrade path is trivial and 1.2 has been available for quite some
time. This will probably make our last release from this branch at 1.1.10
or there abouts.

Are there any objections or concerns with the above plan? Are there any
downstream communities who need our help moving onto 1.2? Please let us