hbase-user mailing list archives

From Nick Dimiduk <ndimi...@gmail.com>
Subject Verification of Short Circuit Reads
Date Thu, 03 Nov 2016 22:28:29 GMT
Hello there,

I'm setting up a new cluster and I notice in my RS startup logs an ominous

2016-11-03 21:52:14,624 WARN  [RS_LOG_REPLAY_OPS-r103u3:16020-0]
shortcircuit.DomainSocketFactory: error creating DomainSocket
java.net.ConnectException: connect(2) error: Permission denied when trying
to connect to '/var/run/hadoop-hdfs/dn.socket'

My hdfs-site.xml (not not hbase-site.xml) has:

lsof on the RS process shows me that libhadoop.so has been loaded.

$ sudo lsof -p $(cat /var/run/hbase/hbase-hbase-regionserver.pid) | grep
java    33581 hbase  mem    REG              252,0   137720  2492109

Given the hbase user's group membership,

$ sudo -u hbase groups
hbase hadoop

Permission on the socket itself looks suspicious

$ sudo ls -la /var/run/hadoop-hdfs
total 0
drwx------  2 hdfs root  60 Nov  2 22:56 .
drwxr-xr-x 23 root root 760 Nov  3 21:52 ..
srw-rw-rw-  1 hdfs hdfs   0 Nov  2 22:56 dn.socket

Our book has this word of caution: "Be careful about permissions for the
directory that hosts the shared domain socket; dfsclient will complain if
open to other than the hbase user." But this seems inaccurate in that I'm
seeing HDFS complain if the directory is open to a user other than hdfs.

So what's the correct solution here? Do I add hdfs user to the hdfs group?
That sounds too permissive.