hbase-user mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: Hbase 1.1.1 API documentation link
Date Mon, 07 Nov 2016 21:10:29 GMT
On Sun, Nov 6, 2016 at 9:23 PM, Yu Li <carp84@gmail.com> wrote:

> We do have an hbase book for 0.94 specially:
> http://hbase.apache.org/0.94/book.html, and it might be a good question
> that shall we supply similar website of different branches for user or
> always require them to generate the site by themselves? Current hbase book
> (
> http://hbase.apache.org/book.html) contains some new features only for 2.0
> (plz correct me if I'm wrong) so might not be proper for all users to refer
> to?
>
> btw, if plan to use branch-1.1 release, I'd suggest to use versions later
> than (including) 1.1.4 because of HBASE-14460 (
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-14460, which fixes performance
> regression), JFYI @Rajeshkumar
>
> Best Regards,
> Yu

This is a perennial (... that we should publish per-version doc.)

Truth be told, we don't do the work to maintain version specific
documentation. RMs usually copy the current state of the master doc into
their branch before cutting an RC so they get the 'latest' changes. Doc is
done up on the master branch. Doc will have callouts if a version-specific
config or feature but we are probably erratic in our practice here (and in
the converse, deprecating the old and no longer supported).

Doc seems to change at a slow rate so maybe its not so bad that this is the
case.

That said, if the 1.1 doc has big differences from the master doc., we
could do the same was we did for 0.94 -- making a subdir for 1.1.

St.Ack