hbase-user mailing list archives

From Sreeram <sreera...@gmail.com>
Subject Maximum limit on HBase cluster size
Date Wed, 07 Sep 2016 08:59:28 GMT
Dear All,

Looking forward to your views on the maximum limit of HBase cluster size.

We are currently designing a HBase cluster and one of the tables (designed
in wide format) is expected to have roughly 6 billion rows in production by
3 years (with an additional 200 million rows getting added each month). In
addition, we are expecting roughly 250 columns per row.  Expected table
data volume is around 250 TB (at end of 3 years, without considering HDFS
replication) and growing by 7 TB per month.

While we are provisioning the number of nodes based on expected data
volume, wanted to check if there are any limits on the number of rows per

Will it be advisable to split the cluster in such situation into two or
more independent clusters?  Will there be any impact to the read/write
throughput/latency as the table grows over time?

Please advise.