hbase-user mailing list archives

From Daniel Vimont <dan...@commonvox.org>
Subject Re: I get this error when I try to run hbase in standalone mode ./bin/start-hbase.sh
Date Wed, 17 Aug 2016 01:06:36 GMT
Cheyenne,

Looks like you're attempting to do what Xiaochun was also recently tasked
with doing: install HBase in a Windows environment using Cygwin[1].

I shared with him the frustrations I experienced when attempting to do this
over a year ago[2], but forwarded him the "raw" notes that I took as I
attempted it[3].

Bottom line: It is probably best to avoid trying to use the Cygwin
implementation; it does not appear to be an option that is actively
supported. I would recommend either switching over to a Linux box or
setting up a virtual Linux environment on your Windows machine, and then do
the standard HBase installation there.

I use VirtualBox for my virtual machine with Ubuntu installed "inside" of
it. Even if you are inexperienced with Linux, I think it is worth mounting
that learning curve (and Ubuntu is the friendliest Linux environment) than
banging your head against a likely quite uncooperative Cygwin environment.

Good luck!

Dan

[1]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/hbase-user/201608.mbox/%3C0e035a2a13e041fdae95d204857c271a%40HK2PR3007MB0132.064d.mgd.msft.net%3E