hbase-user mailing list archives

From Xiaochun Liang <xiaochun.li...@skype.net>
Subject RE: Fully distributed mode on Windows
Date Tue, 16 Aug 2016 01:53:13 GMT
Thanks Dan!

Looks like it is a little bit harder to setup HBase on Windows with Cygwin. Thanks a lot for
your suggestions. Looks like I still need to setup HBase with Cygwin. Could you please share
the problems you met?

Regards,
xiaochun

-----Original Message-----
From: Daniel Vimont [mailto:daniel@commonvox.org]
Sent: Monday, August 15, 2016 11:16 AM
To: user@hbase.apache.org
Subject: Re: Fully distributed mode on Windows

FWIW, I tried quite some time ago to set up HBase on Windows with CygWin (just to see if I
could do it), and I ran into so many problems that I simply quit trying after a few hours.

However, I DO use a Windows box to do all of my HBase-contributor work on (and I do it in
the way that Mike has already recommended to you): I do that by running VirtualBox with an
instance of Ubuntu running inside of it, and then just do straightforward installation of
HBase in that virtual Ubuntu environment. If you must use a Windows box (or multiple Windows
workstations), you might want to consider a setup similar to this to avoid what I would anticipate
to be a mountain of frustrations.

Good luck!

Dan