hbase-user mailing list archives

From WangYQ <wangyongqiang0...@163.com>
Subject RS open hbase:meta may throw NullPointerException
Date Fri, 03 Jun 2016 09:16:43 GMT
in hbase 0.98.10,
class HRegionServer
method openRegion
line 3827

when RS open region, if this region is already opened by RS, we will check hbase:meta to see
if hbase:meta is updated.
but, if the RS is opening hbase:meta, then MetaReader.getRegion will return null(we do not
store hbase:meta data in table hbase:meta), and lead to nullPointerException

we can reproduce this problem as follows:
1. master assign hbase:meta
2. RS open hbase:meta slowly, master timeout(may because of high load or network problem),
3. master send open region request again(RS is still opening hbase:meta, and opened)
4. RS will throw NullPointerException and hmaster will retry forever