hbase-user mailing list archives

From Anoop John <anoop.hb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Cell Level TTL And hfile.format.version
Date Sat, 07 May 2016 06:04:38 GMT
Ya as said, there is a warn message while doing the flush.  To check
with every mutation whether it having some tags and hfile version is
<3 would be bit costlier.  Suggest you change the version and things
will work as expected for you.

On Fri, May 6, 2016 at 10:09 PM, Huaxiang Sun <hsun@cloudera.com> wrote:
> Hi Saad,
>    Please see HBASE-14730 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-14730>.
With hfile.format.version 2, it will work partially. As long as the cells are in the memstore,
the TTL tag will be honored.
>   Once they are flushed into hfiles, ttl tag is lost which means cells will be there
>    Your db will have cells which are supposed to be cleaned up with ttl. Suggest to change
the hfile format to version 3.
>    Thanks,
>    Huaxiang
>> On May 6, 2016, at 6:43 AM, Saad Mufti <saad.mufti@gmail.com> wrote:
>> HI,
>> We're running a  CDH 5.5.2 HBase cluster (HBase Version 1.0.0-cdh5.5.2,
>> revision=Unknown). We are using the per-cell TTL feature (Mutation.setTTL)
>> As I learn more about and read up on HBase, I realized that in our HBase
>> config hfile.format.version was set to 2 (the default, we haven't touched
>> this config yet), and from what I read that version of the HFile format
>> does NOT support cell tags which are needed for cell TTL which use tags.
>> Of course I am in the process of writing a test to check whether our
>> production db is indeed getting filled with cells that should in actuality
>> be expired given their TTL value.
>> We haven't seen any errors at runtime, does this mean our efforts to set a
>> TTL are being silently ignored? Isn't this bad behavior? Even if the
>> hfile.format.version is set to the wrong version, wouldn't it be better to
>> throw an error instead of just silently dropping any tags that are set?
>> Thanks.
>> -----
>> Saad

View raw message