hbase-user mailing list archives

From Saad Mufti <saad.mu...@gmail.com>
Subject Cell Level TTL And hfile.format.version
Date Fri, 06 May 2016 13:43:47 GMT
HI,

We're running a  CDH 5.5.2 HBase cluster (HBase Version 1.0.0-cdh5.5.2,
revision=Unknown). We are using the per-cell TTL feature (Mutation.setTTL)

As I learn more about and read up on HBase, I realized that in our HBase
config hfile.format.version was set to 2 (the default, we haven't touched
this config yet), and from what I read that version of the HFile format
does NOT support cell tags which are needed for cell TTL which use tags.

Of course I am in the process of writing a test to check whether our
production db is indeed getting filled with cells that should in actuality
be expired given their TTL value.

We haven't seen any errors at runtime, does this mean our efforts to set a
TTL are being silently ignored? Isn't this bad behavior? Even if the
hfile.format.version is set to the wrong version, wouldn't it be better to
throw an error instead of just silently dropping any tags that are set?

Thanks.

-----
Saad