hbase-user mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: hbase architecture doubts
Date Mon, 02 May 2016 15:36:21 GMT
On Mon, May 2, 2016 at 1:25 AM, Shushant Arora <shushantarora09@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Thanks!
>
> Few doubts;
>
> 1.LSM tree comprises two tree-like
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tree_(data_structure)> structures, called
> C0 and
> C1 and If the insertion causes the C0 component to exceed a certain size
> threshold, a contiguous segment of entries is removed from C0 and merged
> into C1 on disk
>
> But in Hbase when C0 which is memstore I guess? is exceeded the threshold
> size its dumped on to HDFS as HFIle(c1 I guess?) - and does compaction is
> the process which here means as merging of C0 and C1 ?

The 'merge' in the quoted high-level description may just mean that the
dumped hfile is 'merged' with the others at read time. Or it may be as
stated, that the 'merge' happens at flush time. Some LSM tree
implementations do it this way -- Bigtable, and it calls the merge of
memstore and a file-on-disk a form of compaction -- but this is not what
HBase does; it just dumps the memstore as a flushed hfile. Later, we'll run
a compaction process to merge hfiles in background.

> 2.Moves current, active Map aside as a snapshot (while a write lock is held
> for a short period of time), and then creates a new CSLS instances.
>
> In background, the snapshot is then dumped to disk. We get an Iterator on
> CSLS. We write a block at a time. When we exceed configured block size, we
> start a new one.
>
> -- Does write lock is held till the time complete CSLS is dumpled on
> disk.

No. Just while we move aside the current MemStore.

What is your concern/objective? Are you studying LSM trees generally or are
you worried that HBase is offline for periods of time for read and write?

Thanks,
St.Ack