hbase-user mailing list archives

From thib <thibault.godo...@gresearch.co.uk>
Subject Snapshot performance and helper script
Date Wed, 18 May 2016 10:45:05 GMT

I am thinking to implement regular snapshots on HBase to protect against
user mistakes, e.g. if something bad happens go back to the previous
I am thinking to keep something as one snapshot per week for four weeks, and
one snapshot a day for 7 days, so always have about 11 snapshots.  Then each
time a new snapshot is created, an old one would be deleted.

>From reading the doc I get the impression that snapshots are quite light to
take, and have zero on-going performance impact, i.e. HBase will be just as
fast with 11 snapshots than with none.
Is that right?

Am I also right to believe that the extra disk usage be very low in our
setup where we never deleted any data, just add more?

Finally, is anyone aware of a tool / helper script to implement such a
snapshot strategy, before I spend time writing my own?

Thank you,