hbase-user mailing list archives

From Anoop John <anoop.hb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: HBase Region Server Memory Configuration
Date Wed, 06 Apr 2016 10:31:24 GMT
So u have given the max heap size for the RS process via Cloudera
manager and u fear that that much is not taken by the process.  U may
need to check the logs in CDH manager and the RS to see whether it is
correctly set

So u r using bucket cache(BC) in offheap mode right.  In 1.0 version
there wont be any direct off heap space usage from HBase code other
than BC code.  (Later versions have it).  But the SocketChannel uses
off heap space to move the data to network.  When written bytes to
socket channel, it first copy it to off heap bytebuffers and then the
OS level calls to do the network transfers.  So ya the process as such
would need more offheap memory than the size of the bucket cache.

At least in 1.0 the perf of off heap Bucket cache is not same as that
of L1 cache.  When both are in place, by default, we will keep the
index blocks etc (non data) in L1 and data blocks in L2.  That would
be an ideal choice IMO.  The separation allows the L1 blocks to stay
there with out getting possibly evicted. These are meta information
for the data blocks.   The data blocks can stay in L2 cache.

-Anoop-