hbase-user mailing list archives

From Nick Dimiduk <ndimi...@gmail.com>
Subject Retiring empty regions
Date Fri, 01 Apr 2016 04:56:26 GMT
Hi folks,

I have a table with TTL enabled. It's been receiving data for a while
beyond the TTL and I now have a number of empty regions. I'd like to drop
those empty regions to free up heap space on the region servers and reduce
master load. I'm running a 1.1 derivative.

The only threads I found on this topic are from circa 0.92 timeframe.

Short of upgrading to 1.2 for the region normalizer, what's the recommended
method of cleaning up this cruft? Should I be merging empty regions into
their neighbor's? Looks like region merge hasn't been migrated to ProcV2
yet so would be wise to reduce online table activity, or at least aim for a
"quiet period"? Is there a documented process for off-lining and deleting a
region by name? I don't see anything in the book about it.

I experimented with online merge on pseudodist, looks like it's working
fine for the most basic case. I'll probably pursue this unless someone has
some other ideas.

Thanks,
Nick