hbase-user mailing list archives

From Amit Shah <amits...@gmail.com>
Subject HBase Region Server Memory Configuration
Date Wed, 06 Apr 2016 09:54:31 GMT

I am trying to understand hbase's memory configuration. I am using hbase
version 1.0 through cloudera (version 5.5.2). I need to benchmark query
performance (through phoenix 4.6) on hbase with and without bucket cache.

While reading about hbase memory configuration I have following doubts

1. I have configured java heap size on the region server as 3.5 GB on the
cloudera manager console though the region server web ui (server metrics ->
Memory tab) shows the max heap to be 1.7. hbase.block.cache.size is
configured to be 0.6, hbase.regionserver.global.memstore.lowerLimit is
configured to be 0.1 while hbase.regionserver.global.memstore.upperLimit is
configured to be 0.2 so that the blockcache + memstore combination does not
exceed 0.8.

What could be the reason behind the difference shown on the region server
web ui?

2. While configuring bucket cache, there are mainly two configs to set the
size of the bucket cache -XX:MaxDirectMemorySize
and hbase.bucketcache.size. It is recommended that XX:MaxDirectMemorySize
 should be of a higher value than hbase.bucketcache.size. What are the
hbase operations that use the offheap memory apart from bucket cache?

3. Is it worth benchmarking bucketcache in isolation i.e. without
LruBlockCache - hbase.block.cache.size set to 0?

Appreciate your inputs.