hbase-user mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: Sources Of HBase Client Side Latency
Date Tue, 19 Apr 2016 22:35:02 GMT
On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 2:07 PM, Saad Mufti <saad.mufti@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I found this blog post from 2014 on sources of HBase client side latency
> which I found useful:
>

> https://hadoop-hbase.blogspot.com/2014/08/hbase-client-response-times.html?showComment=1461099797978#c5266762058464276023

It is written by an authority.

> Since this is a bit dated, anyone have any other sources of latency to add?
> In our experience with HBase 1.x so far we've definitely seen long
> latencies when a region server dies, but we've also seen it during
> auto-splits which this post suggests shouldn't be that long.

Easy enough to check. Look at the master log and see the steps involved.

> Then we have other unexplained (so far, at least by us) big response time
> spikes and client side timeouts that can last a few minutes or in some
> cases a couple of hours that we'd like to explain. Could these be from
> either automatic major compaction or minor compactions that got upgraded to
> major?

These may up latency when running but not for minutes or hours.

Sounds like something else is going on.

> Any advice on where to start looking to investigate?

Check master log at the time of slowness and then follow your nose. If you
need more specifics on how to debug, come back here w/ some more detail
around a particular event.

Yours,
St.Ack