hbase-user mailing list archives

From Sumit Nigam <sumit_o...@yahoo.com.INVALID>
Subject Major compaction
Date Mon, 04 Apr 2016 15:35:59 GMT
Hi,
Are there major overheads to running major compaction frequently? As much as I know, it produces
one Hfile for a region and processes delete markers and version related drops. So, if this
process has happened once say. a few mins back then another major compaction should ideally
not cause much harm.
Why I am trying to understand this is because Hbase also sets it to 24 hour default (for time
based compaction) and I am looking to lower it to say 20 mins to reduce stress by spreading
the load.
Or am I completely off-track?
Thanks,Sumit