hbase-user mailing list archives

From Eric Owhadi <eric.owh...@esgyn.com>
Subject deleting row for aging purpose
Date Sat, 12 Mar 2016 22:32:41 GMT
Hello Hbaseers,

When dealing with time series, one can imagine that deleting row older than
a specific date threashold would be a common use case.

If I am not mistaken, the only options available today to perform this
aging delete is to first mark these row with a delete operation that will
set tombstone marker, and then major compaction will take care of removing
the data.

However this tombstoning is consuming valuable resource and  I was
wondering if we could instead pass a parameter to the major compact command
and tell it, BTW, any rowkey lower than xxxxxxxx, consider it tomb stoned,
so delete it.

Is that crazy idea?

Regards,

Eric