hbase-user mailing list archives

From "Daniel" <dan...@abde.me>
Subject Two questions about the maximum number of versions of a column family
Date Sun, 21 Feb 2016 15:22:10 GMT
Hi, I have two questions about the maximum number of versions of a column family:

(1) Is it OK to set a very large (>100,000) maximum number of versions for a column family?

The reference guide says "It is not recommended setting the number of max versions to an exceedingly
high level (e.g., hundreds or more) unless those old values are very dear to you because this
will greatly increase StoreFile size." (Chapter 36.1)

I'm new to the Hadoop ecosystem, and have no idea about the consequences of a very large StoreFile
size.

Furthermore, it is OK to set a large maximum number of versions but insert only a few versions?
Does it waste space?

(2) How much performance overhead does it cause to increase the maximum number of versions
of a column family after enormous (e.g. billions) rows have been inserted?

Regards,

Daniel