hbase-user mailing list archives

From Pedro Gandola <pedro.gand...@gmail.com>
Subject Unexpected region splits
Date Mon, 15 Feb 2016 15:22:26 GMT
Hi,

I have a cluster using *HBase 1.1.2* where I have a table and a local index
(using *Apache Phoenix 4.6*) in total both tables have *300 regions*
(aprox: *18 regions per server*), my* hbase.hregion.max.filesize=30GB *and
my region sizes are now *~4.5GB compressed (~7GB uncompressed)*. However
each time I restart a RS sometimes a region gets split. This is unexpected
because my key space is uniform (using MD5) and if the problem was my
*region.size
> * *hbase.hregion.max.filesize *I would expect to have all the regions or
almost all splitting but this only happens when I restart a RS and it
happens only for 1 or 2 regions.

What are the different scenarios where a region can split?

What are the right steps to restart a region server in order to avoid these
unexpected splits?

Thank you,
Cheers
Pedro