hbase-user mailing list archives

From Pat Ferrel <...@occamsmachete.com>
Subject Rename tables or swap alias
Date Mon, 15 Feb 2016 00:18:59 GMT
I use Spark to take an old table, clean it up to create an RDD of cleaned data. What I’d
like to do is write all of the data to a new table in HBase, then rename the table to the
old name. If possible it could be done by changing an alias to point to the new table as long
as all external code uses the alias, or by a 2 table rename operation. But I don’t see how
to do this for HBase. I am dealing with a lot of data so don’t want to do table modifications
with deletes and upserts, this would be incredibly slow. Furthermore I don’t want to disable
the table for more than a tiny span of time.

Is it possible to have 2 tables and rename both in an atomic action, or change some alias
to point to the new table in an atomic action. If not what is the quickest way to achieve
this to minimize time disabled.