hbase-user mailing list archives

From Henning Blohm <henning.bl...@zfabrik.de>
Subject parallel scanning?
Date Mon, 25 Jan 2016 18:29:32 GMT
Hi,

I am looking for advise on an HBase mass data access optimization problem.

In our application all data records stored in Hbase have a time
dimension (as inverted time) and a GUID in the row key. Retrieving a
record requires issueing a scan with the GUID as prefix.

In order to get to entry (there is various access paths) we use a simple
secondary index that also has a time dimension in the row and so needs a
scan as well.

For mass updates I am currently seeking ways to improve lookup performance.

I found various discussions and issues on multi-scans (as in multi-Get,
multi-Delete) but none of it was really helpful in sorting out the most
promising direction.

Currently I am experimenting with simply parallelizing lookups in chunks
from the client. That reduces eplapsed wait time a bit. It seems though
that avoiding roundtrips altogether by "scanning in parallel
server-side" should show much better improvements.

Is there anything like that already available that I should look into?

Thanks,
Henning

--
Henning Blohm