hbase-user mailing list archives

From Adam Davidson <adam.david...@bigdatapartnership.com>
Subject Secure HBase with Java 8
Date Wed, 09 Dec 2015 16:14:13 GMT
Hi,

I'm working on a project to run a custom Java HBase client service on a
Kerberized cluster. We are using HBase 1.1 and Java 8.

We belief we have a setup that works in the first instance; the service
starts and logs in to Kerberos (UserGroupInformation.loginUserFromKeytab)
and proceeds to work as expected. The problem seems to come some time later
when the service tries to re-login the service principal; we see repeated
logs from the HBase AbstractRpcClient that it 'Couldn't set up connection
for service@REALM to hbase/_HOST@REALM' and we see timeouts when we try to
use the service.

The issue seems like it could be linked to a bug in hadoop-common library
where a change in the key caching in Java 8 leads to a silent failure to
re-login a service -https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-10786. The
bug affects the common library up to version 2.6.0; I've noticed our
version of the HBase client uses an earlier version (2.5.1). I've seen this
related HBase JIRA - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-7608. It
speculates on supporting Java 8 in HBase. Is this something that is still
under consideration i.e. is the Hadoop bug solved in HBase 1.1 or is it
reasonable to assume that I am actually encountering the same issue?

If it is this issue I can simply update the version of the hadoop-common
library in my code; however this breaks some integration tests I've set up
with the HBaseTestingUtility as a method it uses no longer exists in
hadoop-common 2.7.1

Regards,
Adam

--

*NOTICE AND DISCLAIMER*

This email (including attachments) is confidential. If you are not the
intended recipient, notify the sender immediately, delete this email from
your system and do not disclose or use for any purpose.

Business Address: Eagle House, 163 City Road, London, EC1V 1NR. United
Kingdom
Registered Office: Finsgate, 5-7 Cranwood Street, London, EC1V 9EE. United
Kingdom
Big Data Partnership Limited is a company registered in England & Wales
with Company No 7904824