hbase-user mailing list archives

From Jean-Marc Spaggiari <jean-m...@spaggiari.org>
Subject Re: alter column family - possible operational impacts on big tables
Date Thu, 08 Oct 2015 19:19:08 GMT
Hi Nicu,

Indeed, with 0.94 you have to disable the table before doing the alter.
However, for 30 regions, it should be pretty fast. When you say 30+, are
you talking about like 1K regions? Or more like 32? The alter will only
update the meta table, so not that much impact on the servers. And no
compactions required for that. The ttl will only take effect at the next
compaction by, as you said, filtering out more records.

JM