hbase-user mailing list archives

From Nicolae Marasoiu <nicolae.maras...@adswizz.com>
Subject alter column family - possible operational impacts on big tables
Date Thu, 08 Oct 2015 14:49:02 GMT
Hi,

If we run at night an alter column family, set ttl, my understanding is that it will disable
the table, make the alter, and re-enable the table, which can be some time for large tables
with 30+ regions (hbase version 0.94 [☹]  ).

Do you have any advice about this? How long can it take per region? What is the operational
hit at the time of the alter command being issued, and what when compaction runs on the table?
I imagine that compaction is not too affected by this, just by filtering out more records
when re-writing the new HFiles, is this correct?

Thanks,

Nicu