hbase-user mailing list archives

From Nick Dimiduk <ndimi...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Thinking of HBase 1.1.3 [was HBASE-14317 and 1.1.3]
Date Wed, 23 Sep 2015 22:50:32 GMT
I've run the compatibility checking tool [0] between branch-1.1
(0bf97bac2ed564994a0bcda5f1993260bf0b448f) and 1.1.0
(e860c66d41ddc8231004b646098a58abca7fb523). There has been a little bit of
drift, but nothing that I think is release-blocking. However, I'd like to
bring it to your attention here, before it sinks an RC. You can compare
this to the run between 1.1.0 and 1.1.2RC2, which became 1.1.2 [1]. Notice
we've added a handful of methods, which is acceptable according to our
guidelines [2].The question I have is about adding throws IOException
to TableRecordReader.close(). IOException is in the interface declaration
of the super type, but this will require a source code change for anyone
consuming our type directly. I believe, according to [2], this breaks our
guidelines for a patch release.

I've also sent a note over to HBASE-14394 [3] regarding the added public
and undocumented method to TableRecordReader, so there's potentially two
addendum's required for this patch.

How would the community like to proceed?

[0]: http://people.apache.org/~ndimiduk/1.1.0_branch-1.1_compat_report.html
[1]: http://people.apache.org/~ndimiduk/1.1.0_1.1.2RC2_compat_report.html
[2]: http://hbase.apache.org/book.html#hbase.versioning
[3]: