hbase-user mailing list archives

From MrE <ele...@msn.com>
Subject RE: HBase on HDFS: proper way to setup
Date Thu, 20 Aug 2015 15:47:41 GMT
Thanks for the very quick reply.
I am only planning right now, but i have a CoreOS based cluster, with HDFS units and HBase
units. I just want to know if I should have one of each on each node. If it's ok to just have
fewer HBase instances at first, scale up later if needed? I guess the question is do I 'need'
to have a HBase instance per HDFS node, or is it totally up to me and the requirements of
the application?
As for more HBase nodes than HDFS, i was thinking that for search intensive applications it
may be useful to have more 'search' nodes than data nodes, but maybe this doesn't apply to
HBase well.
Thanks

Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2015 08:42:40 -0700
From: ml-node+s679495n4074048h43@n3.nabble.com
To: eleroy@msn.com
Subject: Re: HBase on HDFS: proper way to setup

	Whether having HBase instance on each data node depends on the amount of

data you have and access pattern you expect.

bq. Is it any useful to have more HBase nodes than HDFS nodes?

I have never seen the above setup.

Do you have an hdfs cluster already ? Can you let us know your use case ?

Cheers

On Thu, Aug 20, 2015 at 8:32 AM, MrE <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,

> I'm new to HBase, so pardon the stupid question.

> Hbase is meant to run on HDFS I presume, although it is not the default on

> the 'single host' setup.

> My question is: assuming I have a HDFS cluster setup for storage (just

> HDFS)

> What is the rule of thumb for deployment of HBase instances: should I have

> HBase instance on each HDFS node?

> I assume the HBase instances should be close to the data to avoid network

> latencies, but do I need a HBase instance on each datanode?

> Is it any useful to have more HBase nodes than HDFS nodes?

> All the basic tutorials explain setting up HBase on local fs, and then

> explain that to setup as a cluster 'just point to HDFS' for storage, but I

> haven't found clear explanation of how all these nodes should be arranged

> together to be efficient.

> Thanks for the help.

> --

		http://apache-hbase.679495.n3.nabble.com/HBase-on-HDFS-proper-way-to-setup-tp4074047p4074048.html

		To unsubscribe from HBase on HDFS: proper way to setup, click here.

		NAML