hbase-user mailing list archives

From MrE <ele...@msn.com>
Subject HBase on HDFS: proper way to setup
Date Thu, 20 Aug 2015 15:32:08 GMT
Hello,

I'm new to HBase, so pardon the stupid question.
Hbase is meant to run on HDFS I presume, although it is not the default on
the 'single host' setup.

My question is: assuming I have a HDFS cluster setup for storage (just HDFS)

What is the rule of thumb for deployment of HBase instances: should I have a
HBase instance on each HDFS node?
I assume the HBase instances should be close to the data to avoid network
latencies, but do I need a HBase instance on each datanode?
Is it any useful to have more HBase nodes than HDFS nodes?

All the basic tutorials explain setting up HBase on local fs, and then
explain that to setup as a cluster 'just point to HDFS' for storage, but I
haven't found clear explanation of how all these nodes should be arranged
together to be efficient.

Thanks for the help.