hbase-user mailing list archives

From Ivan Brondino <ibrond...@fi.upm.es>
Subject splits and merge
Date Wed, 15 Jul 2015 10:08:26 GMT
Hi,

We are using Hbase 0.98.6 and Hadoop 2.5.0 - cdh 5.3.5.

We have a couple of questions regarding splits and merge:

1) Since both split and merge are async invocations on the client side, we
have a naîve
workaround to make it synchronous that is to look at the RS Info Server via
an HttpClient checking
for pending tasks to be finished. Once all tasks are finished in all RS we
issue the next split/merge for the same table. Is there a better way to do
it?

2) Regarding merges, we've noticed that some times merge just does not
work. We see on the master log that merge request is issued and it forwards
it to the corresponding RS but then on the RS nothing happens. We always
merge two regions on the same region server.
Are there minimum requirements for two regions to be merged? If those
requirements are not met, does the merge process exit silently?

Thanks in advance,

Iván