hbase-user mailing list archives

From Priyanka B <priyanka.bhale...@gmail.com>
Subject Htrace spans not generated for hbase client side code
Date Thu, 23 Jul 2015 04:08:39 GMT
My question is similar to the below thread,

I have enabled htrace logging on server side using the below configuration
in hbase-site.xml

On the client side, I maintain a different configuration file

I am able to see the htrace spans when I start/close spans using the hbase
However, when I start and close span in my client side code, I see only the
server side span traces without the root parent span that is initiating the
server rpc calls.

Here is how I made changes to the client side code:

 this.spanReceiverHost = SpanReceiverHost.getInstance(conf);

I have initialized the spanReceiverHost like above. The conf is
hbase-client.xml here.

Then before a "Get" call I have done a start and close of trace:

        TraceScope ts = Trace.startSpan("Gets", Sampler.ALWAYS);
        try {
            result = getTable(table).get(g);
        catch (IOException e) {
            throw new DatabaseException("Error fetching data: "
                    + e.getMessage());
        finally {
            if (ts != null) {

For all the gets I see spans from the server side but no span with "Gets" in
the description. I cannot make a graph out of the spans since it is missing
the parent span.

Am I missing something? It will be great if someone could help me on this. I
have one region server, one master running in my environment and I am using