hbase-user mailing list archives

From Nasron Cheong <nas...@gmail.com>
Subject Stochastic Balancer by tables
Date Thu, 18 Jun 2015 14:50:16 GMT
Hi,

I've noticed there are two settings available when using the HBase balancer
(specifically the default stochastic balancer)

hbase.master.balancer.stochastic.tableSkewCost

hbase.master.loadbalance.bytable

How do these two settings relate? The documentation indicates when using
the stochastic balancer that 'bytable' should be set to false?

Our deployment relies on very few, very large tables, and I've noticed bad
distribution when accessing some of the tables. E.g. there are 443 regions
for a single table, but when doing a MR job over a full scan of the table,
the first 426 regions scan quickly (minutes), but the remaining 17 regions
take significantly longer (hours)

My expectation is to have the balancer equalize the size of the regions for
each table.

Thanks!

- Nasron