hbase-user mailing list archives

From Arun Mishra <arunmis...@me.com>
Subject Query on OutOfOrderScannerNextException
Date Sat, 06 Jun 2015 19:54:04 GMT
Hello,

I have a query on OutOfOrderScannerNextException. I am using hbase 0.98.6 with 45 nodes.

I have a mapreduce job which scan 1 table for last 1 day worth data using timerange. It has
been running fine for months without any failure. But last couple of days it has been failing
with below exception. I have traced the failure to a single region. This region has 1 store
and 1 hfile of 5+GB. What we realized was that, we were writing some bulk data, which used
to land on this region. After we stopped writing this data, this region has been receiving
very few writes per day.

When mapreduce job runs, it creates a map task for this region and that task fails with OutOfOrderScannerNextException.
I was able to reproduce this error by running a scan command with same start/stop row and
timerange option. Finally, we split this region to be small enough for scan command to work.

My query is if there is any option, apart from increasing the timeout, which can solve this
use case? I am thinking of a use case where data comes in for 3 days a week in bulk and then
nothing for next 3 days. Kind of creating a data hole in region.
My understanding is that I am hit with this error because I have big store files and timerange
scan is reading entire file even though it contains very few rowkeys for that timerange.

hbase.client.scanner.caching = 100
hbase.client.scanner.timeout.period = 60s

scan 'dummytable',{ STARTROW=>'dummyrowkey-start', STOPROW=>'dummyrowkey-end', LIMIT=>1000,
TIMERANGE=>[1433462400000,1433548800000]}
ROW                                           COLUMN+CELL

ERROR: org.apache.hadoop.hbase.exceptions.OutOfOrderScannerNextException: Expected nextCallSeq:
1 But the nextCallSeq got from client: 0; request=scanner_id: 33648 number_of_rows: 100 close_scanner:
false next_call_seq: 0
at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.HRegionServer.scan(HRegionServer.java:3193)
at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.protobuf.generated.ClientProtos$ClientService$2.callBlockingMethod(ClientProtos.java:29587)
at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.RpcServer.call(RpcServer.java:2031)
at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.CallRunner.run(CallRunner.java:108)
at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.RpcExecutor.consumerLoop(RpcExecutor.java:114)
at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.RpcExecutor$1.run(RpcExecutor.java:94)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

Regards,
Arun