hbase-user mailing list archives

From lars hofhansl <la...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Hbase vs Cassandra
Date Sun, 07 Jun 2015 04:26:22 GMT
HBase is a distributed, consistent, sorted key value store. The "sorted" bit allows for range
scans in addition to the point gets that all K/V stores support. Nothing more, nothing less.

It happens to store its data in HDFS by default, and we provide convenient input and output
formats for map reduce.

      From: Michael Segel <michael_segel@hotmail.com>
 To: user@hbase.apache.org
 Sent: Monday, June 1, 2015 5:32 PM
 Subject: Re: Hbase vs Cassandra

The point is that HBase is part of the Hadoop ecosystem. Not a stand alone database like Cassandra.

This is one thing that gets lost when people want to compare NoSQL databases / data stores.

As to Big Data without Hadoop? Well, there’s spark on mesos … :-P
And there are other Big Data systems out there but are not as well known.
Lexus/Nexus had their proprietary system that they’ve been trying to sell …