hbase-user mailing list archives

From Enis Söztutar <e...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] First release candidate for HBase 1.1.0 (RC0) is available.
Date Mon, 11 May 2015 19:16:48 GMT

>  - a resolution to the RegionScanner interface change, if deemed necessary

Sorry, I confused RegionScanner with ResultScanner. RegionScanner is not a
Public class, only for co-processors. I think we do not need a fix here.

On a totally unrelated note, I was going over the ThrottlingException for
HBASE-13661, and noticed that it extends DoNotRetryIOException. Looking at
the unit tests as well, it means that if the throttle is exceeded, it
bubbles up to the client level as a RetriedExhaustedException, and the
application side has to do explicit handling because of this. I was
intuitively expecting the hbase-client level to handle the throttling
instead of raising this as an application-level exception. Is this the
expected behavior? The exception contains enough details on the throttling
that it seems it can do the wait, but seems strange to delegate that to the
application instead of handling it at the retry layer. Did we chose this
because of fast fail semantics? Sorry I missed the reviews.

This semantics is important for the RC I think, since it is the first time
we are introducing it. Just wanted to confirm that it is an explicit
decision.

Enis