hbase-user mailing list archives

From Govind Kamat <gka...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: New post on hbase-1.1.0 throttling feature up on our Apache blog
Date Thu, 14 May 2015 00:48:32 GMT
 > This is a great demonstration of these new features, thanks for pointing it
 > out Stack.
 > I'm curious: what percentile latencies are this reported? Does the
 > non-throttled user see significant latency improvements in the 95, 99pct
 > when the competing, scanning users are throttled? MB/s and req/s are
 > managed at the region level? Region server level? Aggregate?

The latencies reported in the post are average latencies.

Yes, the non-throttled user sees an across-the-board improvement in
the 95th and 99th percentiles, in addition to the improvement in
average latency.  The extent of improvement is significant as well but
varies with the throttle pressure, just as in the case of the average

The total throughput numbers (req/s) are aggregate numbers reported by
the YCSB client.

 > These throttle points are by user? Is there a way for us to say "all MR
 > jobs are lower priority than online queries"?

The throttle was set by user in these tests.  You cannot directly
throttle a specific job, but do have the option to set the throttle
for a table or a namespace.  That might be sufficient for you to
achieve your objective (unless those jobs are run by one user and
access the same table.)

 > Thanks,
 > Nick
 > On Tue, May 12, 2015 at 1:58 PM, Stack <stack@duboce.net> wrote: