hbase-user mailing list archives

From lars hofhansl <la...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Hbase vs Cassandra
Date Sun, 31 May 2015 19:05:07 GMT
You really have to try out both if you want to be sure.

The fundamental differences that come to mind are:
* HBase is always consistent. Machine outages lead to inability to read or write data on that
machine. With Cassandra you can always write.

* Cassandra defaults to a random partitioner, so range scans are not possible (by default)
* HBase has a range partitioner (if you don't want that the client has to prefix the rowkey
with a prefix of a hash of the rowkey). The main feature that set HBase apart are range scans.

* HBase is much more tightly integrated with Hadoop/MapReduce/HDFS, etc. You can map reduce
directly into HFiles and map those into HBase instantly.

* Cassandra has a dedicated company supporting (and promoting) it.
* Getting started is easier with Cassandra. For HBase you need to run HDFS and Zookeeper,
etc.
* I've heard lots of anecdotes about Cassandra working nicely with small cluster (< 50
nodes) and quick degenerating above that.
* HBase does not have a query language (but you can use Phoenix for full SQL support)
* HBase does not have secondary indexes (having an eventually consistent index, similar to
what Cassandra has, is easy in HBase, but making it as consistent as the rest of HBase is
hard)

* Everything you'll hear here is biased :)

>From personal experience... At Salesforce we spent a few months prototyping various stores
(including Cassandra) and arrived at HBase. Your mileage may vary.

-- Lars