hbase-user mailing list archives

From apa...@borkbork.net
Subject Issues with import from 0.92 into 0.98
Date Sun, 24 May 2015 15:43:48 GMT
Hello all-

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction as I've exhausted
all my knowledge and abilities on the topic...

I've inherited an old, poorly configured and brittle CDH4 cluster
running HBase 0.92. I'm attempting to migrate the data to a new Ambari
cluster running HBase 0.98. I'm attempting to do this without changing
anything on the old cluster as I have hard enough time keeping it
running as is. Also, due to configuration issues with the old cluster
(on AWS), a direct HBase to HBase table copy, or even HDFS to HDFS copy
is out of the question at the moment.

I was able to use the export task on the old cluster to dump the HBase
tables to HDFS, which I then distcp s3n copied up to S3, then back down
to the new  cluster, then used the HBase importer. This appears to work
fine...

... except that on the new cluster table scans with column filters do
not work.

A sample row looks something this:
A:9223370612274019807:twtr:56935907581904486 column=x:twitter:username,
timestamp=1424592575087, value=Bilo Selhi

Unfortunately, even though I can see the column is properly defined, I
cannot filter on it:

hbase(main):015:0> scan 'content' , {LIMIT=>10,
COLUMNS=>'x:twitter:username'}
ROW                           COLUMN+CELL
0 row(s) in 352.7990 seconds

Any ideas what the heck is going here?

Here's the rough process I used for the export/import:
Old cluster:
$ hbase org.apache.hadoop.hbase.mapreduce.Driver export content
hdfs:///hbase_content
$ hadoop distcp -Dfs.s3n.awsAccessKeyId='xxxx'
-Dfs.s3n.awsSecretAccessKey='xxxx' -i hdfs:///hbase_content
s3n://hbase_content

New cluster:
$ hadoop distcp -Dfs.s3n.awsAccessKeyId='xxxx'
-Dfs.s3n.awsSecretAccessKey='xxxx' -i s3n://hbase_content
hdfs:///hbase_content
$ hbase -Dhbase.import.version=0.94
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.mapreduce.Driver import content
hdfs:///hbase_content

Thanks!