hbase-user mailing list archives

From Demai Ni <nid...@gmail.com>
Subject HBase region assignment by range?
Date Wed, 08 Apr 2015 00:05:23 GMT
hi, folks,

I have a question about region assignment and like to clarify some through.

Let's say I have a table with rowkey as "row00000 ~ row30000" on a 4 node
hbase cluster, is there a way to keep data partitioned by range on each
node? for example:

node1:  <=row10000
node2:  row10001~row20000
node3:  row20001~row30000
node4:  >row30000

And even when one of the node become hotspot, the boundary won't be crossed
unless manually doing a load balancing?

I looked at presplit: { SPLITS => ['row100','row200','row300'] } , but
don't think it serves this purpose.

BTW, a bit background. I am thinking to do a local join between two tables
if both have same rowkey, and partitioned by range (or same hash
algorithm). If I can keep the join-key on the same node(aka regionServer),
the join can be handled locally instead of broadcast to all other nodes.

Thanks for your input. A couple pointers to blog/presentation would be
appreciated.

Demai