hbase-user mailing list archives

From Sean Busbey <bus...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: HBase Filesystem Adapter
Date Thu, 30 Apr 2015 17:03:37 GMT
On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 10:19 AM, Stack <stack@duboce.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 6:35 AM, Buğra Çakır <
> bugra.cakir@oranteknoloji.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >

> > I would like to use HBase with distributed filesystems other
> >
> > than HDFS. Are there any plans for developing filesystem
> >
> > adapters for these distributed filesystems ? (ceph, glusterfs, ...)
> >

> What are you looking for in particular Bugra?
>
> There have been various attempts at running hbase over filesystems other
> than HDFS. HBase for the most part makes use of the Hadoop Filesystem
> Interface and has been reported out in the wild as running on other
> filesystems (S3?, MapR, and so on) with attendant compromises and benefit.

Gluster already has a Hadoop FileSystem implementation[1], but I haven't
seen it in practice.

EMC Isilon has a Hadoop FileSystem implementation as well that I have seen
HBase running on top of.

Essentially, all of these integrations happen outside of HBase. The
drawback is that there are places where we do checks for
DistributedFileSystem to make optimizations. However, those should all be
done in a way that falls back gracefully (not least because we need that in
order to support multiple HDFS versions). I'm not aware of us making
similar optimizations for other implementations, but I think we'd be fine
helping things along if a contributor showed up.

[1]:  https://forge.gluster.org/hadoop/pages/Home

--
Sean