hbase-user mailing list archives

From Dave Latham <lat...@davelink.net>
Subject toStringBinary output is painful
Date Mon, 13 Apr 2015 22:16:27 GMT
Wish I had started this conversation 5 years ago...

When we're using binary data, especially in row keys (and therefore
region boundaries) the output created by toStringBinary is very
painful to use:
 - mix of ascii / hex representation is trouble
 - it's quite long (4 characters per binary byte)
 - it mixes in punctuation characters (quotes are not good when
pasting in to shell commands)

Does this bother anyone else?  Is it too late to do anything about it
due to compatibility fears?

Can we change to something that is always binary e.g. hex?

Or if we have to auto-detect, only use ascii if the entire string is ascii?

View raw message